Sunday, March 22, 2009

Deep Thoughts (reprise)

"If the Divine call does not make us better, it will make us very much worse. Of all bad men religious bad men are the worst. Of all created beings the wickedest is the one who originally stood in the immediate presence of God."
-cs lewis

"Christians are like manure: spread them out and help everything grow better, but keep them in one big pile and they stink horribly."
-francis chan

"I went to the charismatic disneyland of evangelical christianity only to discover that I would never be tall enough to go on any of the rides." -paul anderson-walsh

"Jesus never let me down you know,
Jesus used to show me the score,
then they put Jesus in show business,
now its hard to get in the door."
-bono

"I flew on the jumbo jet of traditional fundamentalism and disembarked with far more baggage than what I boarded with."
-david borum

"It's not candles but community...not art but attitude...not liturgy but love...that makes the difference in our broken world."
-john burke

"wealth can't be defined in terms of what we have, but only in terms of how free we are to give and take." -rich mullins

"The Scriptures are filled with commands and references about caring for the poor and for those who cannot help themselves. The crazy part about God's heart is that He doesn't just ask us to give; He desires that we love those in need as much as we love ourselves." -francis chan

"When you know a pretty story you don't let it go unsaid
you tell it to your children as you tuck them into bed.
When you know all of a secret you tell it to your friends,
you tell 'em that a lifetime filled with happiness
is like a street that never ends."
-larry norman

"If we dare to look... we may even see God 'not' as this nice, passive, passionless "Breck lady"-looking mystical thing, and instead we may discover a maniac God, a God who is wild and ferocious, uninhibited by our arrogance, unafraid of any cruelty---a God who is passionate about people, One who would truly go to Hell and back out of love for us." -rich mullins

"Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself." -donald miller

"People who are obsessed with Jesus aren't consumed with their personal safety and comfort above all else. Obsessed people care more about God's Kingdom coming to this earth than their own lives being sheltered from pain or distress." -francis chan

"You can't always get what you want,
but if you try sometimes, you just might find,
you get what you need."
-mick jagger

"The news of my impending death
came at a really bad time for me,
yeah the news of my impending death
any other day might have been OK.
I was starting to track with my inner guide
I was getting in touch with my feminine side
but when the doctor starts whistling "Happy Trails"
tends to knock a bit of wind out of the old sails."
-steve taylor

"We are haunted by the ghosts of the 'what ifs' who live in the shadows of the 'if onlys' ." -rich mullins

"I do believe in miracles, and I want to save my soul,
and I know I'm a sinner, I'm gonna die here in the cold..."
I thought I heard an angel cry
I thought I saw a teardrop falling from his eye..."
-mick jagger

"In a civilization like ours, I feel that everyone has to come to terms with the claims of Jesus Christ upon his life, or else be guilty of inattention or of evading the question." -cs lewis

"I did not come to condemn the world, but to save it". -jesus

be God's!
Brian O
Lead Pastor dude, ECHO

No comments: